Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm Baaaccckkkk.

I know I've been a little slack in the posting department recently, but I do have a valid reason. Last week and this weekend were just so jammed pack with things, that it was literally hard to catch my breath. And after a full weekend of birthday parties and play dates (and a lot of time in the sun) we are finally able to sit back and go 'Phew. We survived'.

Now I know I'm not 25, and I shouldn't expect to be able to bounce back from a packed weekend like I used to, but man, this having kids business is definitely designed for the young.

There was a time when I used to be able to go non-stop on my days off and still get up and go to work without having to 'shake out the kinks', but those days are long gone. And the realization that I turn 39 (the 'almost but not quite 40' birthday as it has come to be known around here) in a few weeks doesn't help any either.

But this weekend did make me think - would it have been any different if we had Little P earlier? Now, I'm not for or against having kids later in life; it's just how it worked out for M and I. And I have nothing against people who have their kids pretty much as soon as they get out of school (my folks did), but I really do think that our bodies are more designed to run around after toddlers when we are younger.

A very wise friend of mine once said that 'having kids is a young person's game. That's why, when in your twenties, you can party like a rock star all night and still go to work as if you had a full nights sleep. Our bodies are designed to be able to keep up with kids at that age. But, you hit your thirties, and not so much.' How very true my friend, how very true.

So, now that I have had a relatively decent nights sleep, and have my coffee on hand, I am ready to tackle the week (albeit a day late, but M's weekend starts on Sunday, so, if you think about it, today is our Monday, so I'm on track. Like that bit of 'Mommy Logic'?).

I've got some fun posts lined up for you this week - just need a little bit of tweaking and they are ready to go (I had hoped to have them done over the weekend, but well, you know, the best laid plans and all that).

So, here's to bouncing back after a long weekend like you are a toddler on a bouncy castle. Bring on the coffee!

Till next time, 'keep it real my peeps'. 

K


Mommy-ism #7: Sleep becomes like a dear old friend that moved away (to another country). You still talk from time to time but you don't get to spend the time together that you used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment