Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Here there be Monsters...


From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!


Halloween is here - when cute little boys and girls get dressed up as goblins and ghosts, Buzz Lightyear and Fancy Nancy. When getting candy from strangers is actually expected and being able to walk around an unknown neighborhood is par for the course.

Growing up in Australia, kids didn't really have 'Halloween' - it was more of a grown ups excuse to let loose, wear a costume and 'get down with your bad self'. Although, thinking back on it - we didn't really need a holiday to encourage us to do that, most people I know would put on a costume and go out drinking without any prompting. But that's beside the point.

Halloween was a little anti-climatic for me this year. I'm not sure if it's because we did so much stuff prior to the 31st, or the fact that I started working this week or if it's just because the whole 'Trick or Treating' deal doesn't really happen in our neighborhood, it was just kind of 'Oh, it's Halloween?'

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of Halloween. This year, it just didn't do it for me.

We had grand plans of going to Town Square after I finished work, but I finished late, got stuck in horrible traffic and by the time I picked up Little P from daycare, I was pretty much over driving. I then found out from a friend that it was crazy busy there anyway and they were leaving, so I pretty much just decided to head towards home and play it by ear.

Fortunately our neighbors had a prime spot out in their driveway, with chairs surrounded by carved pumpkins, so Little P and I helped hand out candy to the small amount of Trick or Treaters that came by. I have to admit, I was kind of surprised by a) the age of the kids (most seemed to be at least 11 or 12), b) the types  of costumes they were wearing and c) by the fact that every single one of them was carrying a pillow case as their 'bucket' - me thinks they had high hopes for a large amount of candy. Whatever was in the air tonight, it just didn't feel like Halloween to me.

I'm hoping come this time next year, that Little P will be more aware of what it is, that we will have more Trick or Treaters and that it feels a little more 'Halloween-y'. But now that it's over, bring on 'Turkey Day' (aka Thanksgiving). Cause after that, it's Christmas, the most wonderful time of the year, and even Little P knows who the big guy in the red suit is.

Till next time, eat, drink and be scary.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment