Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Of all the things I've lost..."

"I miss my mind the most."

Mr. Twain (and re-quotted by one Ozzy Ozbourne), you can't have possibly known how very appropriate these words would be.... to Mothers (and Fathers) around the world.

What is it about little ones that seems to similtaneously lift your spirit up and suck the very smarts out of you? I like to consider myself relatively intelligent (no snickering in the back, I said 'relatively'), but there are days when I truly wonder if I did actually complete any schooling.

Things like:

  • Having to pull out a calculator to work out what 6 x 8 is (I swear, 48 just did not look right, now matter how many times I did it), 
  • Re-washing a load of laundry because you saw it in the basket and thought it hadn't been washed yet, only to realize after the water has started that they were in fact clean and dry,
  • Pouring yourself another cup of coffee only to realize that you hadn't in fact even touched the first one...
The list goes on and on. My newest favorite, though, happened today. I had been trying to find, somewhat unsuccessfully, my reading glasses (I have two pair that I keep at work). It took me 15 minutes to realize that I had one pair on my head and the other pair was literally sitting right in front of me (I swear, I'm smart). And I got a pretty decent night's sleep last night, so I can't even blame it on that.


There have been scientific studies on how a woman's brain actually changes to become MORE able to multitask during pregnancy – you know, in preparation for those times when you really do need to do four things at once. Great. So does that take space from my ability to do basic math and remember where I put the car keys last night? Or how to spell basic words? It took me three goes just to get ‘unsuccessful’ right just now. Seriously.

I know it could be much worse. Little P is a healthy, happy (for the most part, she is two and prone to melt downs) little girl, and our little family unit continues on. But there are some days, where I wish I could, just once, remember how to say the alphabet backwards.
 
happy little girl
One very happy munchkin

It’s a small thing, but it’s a start.

Till next time, power on. One day we will be smart again…. Won’t we?

K


2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how many times I question my own intelligence with all the stupid crap I do throughout the day. Sometimes it's as simple as walking out of my bedroom and realizing I forgot to put pants on. How the heck does someone forget that?!

    If and when I have kids I may end up royally screwed. If I'm this braindead without kids imagine what I'll be once I do have them. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of it more as a redirection rather than a loss. Your brain functions in a totally different way - you might be surprised.

    ReplyDelete