Monday, May 13, 2013

Sweet lullaby

Ever since Little P was a baby, I've sung 'Hush Little Baby' to her. I've sung it to calm her down when she's upset, to help her go back to sleep after a bad dream, and pretty much anytime she's asked me to.

Lately, she's taken to singing it herself - to her 'babies'. 

Which is really cute, except for the teeny, tiny little fact that she sings it a tad bit differently than I do. And I don't just mean in the 'making up words to replace the ones I don't know' kind of way. I mean she sings it differently.

Instead of being soft and sweet and soothing, along the lines of something that would help a little one to go to sleep, the way she sings it, it's more like the chorus of a song from a Swedish death metal band (cause you know how hard core those Swedes are when it comes to their heavy metal) - played at the highest volume possible.

I sing it like this (in hushed tones): 

'Hush little baby, don't say a word...'

Little P sings it like this (remember, death metal): 

'HUSH LITTLE BABY, DON'T SAY A WORD...'

It would be really funny if it wasn't so disturbing (and I just know you are picturing my little girl all ‘metaled’ up and head banging now aren’t you?).

This is actually what she looks like when she’s singing it:

little girl with baby

All peaceful and sweet, right? That picture is totally misleading (she’s actually breaking glass with the volume that she’s singing at).

I really shouldn't be complaining. She could be singing 'Rock a Bye Baby' in that tone.

Now THAT would be scary.

Till next time – you might want to keep those noise cancelling headphones handy. It’s probably gonna get loud in here.

K


16 comments:

  1. Bwahaha. Little P cracks me up with her shenanigans. As long as she isn't running off and becoming a groupie I think you're okay. But just to be safe, keep an eye on her just a wee bit more. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - I'm thinking I will need to install a GPS on her just so I can keep up.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha ha! If they weren't so darn cute, right? My girls do the same thing. I have a different lullaby for each of them, and it's even turned to a rap at times. Yes, scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how they so quickly turn into something other than an actual lullaby. We used to do 'Sweet Dreams' (by Eurythmics) but she tells me 'no' if I try that anymore.

      Delete
  3. CUTE - my daughter didn't play with dolls or sing to herself but she would break out dancing without knowing it when we would play John Lee Hooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Lee Hooker huh? Kid's got taste. Little P leans more toward The Beatles and lately Muse - they are funny when they don't think anyone is looking.

      Delete
  4. LOL! This is so cute! My boys would turn every lullaby into a rap. Make sure you have her on video because it is so fun to look back on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could be sneaky enough I totally would - kid has got Vulcan hearing.

      Delete
  5. AAAhh kids....
    Gotta love 'em. And... gotta love 'em :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Will certainly try. And if I succeed will definitely post it up.

      Delete
  7. She looks so cute!! My 5 year old turns everything into a song and just about anything becomes a microphone. I'm still trying to find the perfect set of headphones. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, something to look forward too. Guess I'd better get cracking on sound proofing her bedroom.

      Delete
  8. Hahahaha - that is too funny. Kids are totally adorable in their own "versions" of things. Hope your eardrums survive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan - we have invested in ear plugs..

      Delete