Saturday, June 23, 2012

'Closed for Maintenance' (nah, just kidding)

Don't you just wish you could put that sign up some days? 
'Sorry, Mommy is currently closed for maintenance, please check back later'.


There are days, when just getting through the day seems to take everything you have. You feel like the Little Engine that Could - 'I think I can, I think I can, I think I can'. On these days, it would be great to be like a website that is undergoing 'necessary' maintenance, so that 'your experience with us continues to be the best'. Yup, if Mommies (and Daddies) are to remain at peak performance, we need to get our necessary maintenance from time to time.


It doesn't have to be extravagant. It may be as simple as just getting a few hours to ourselves, reading a book, watching a movie uninterrupted, or just getting in a few more zzz's. It might be getting to work out at the gym or go for a run, getting your nails down, your hair down, or being able to shop without little ones constantly asking for something. Seems like a lot to ask huh?


I almost think it becomes a matter of keeping your sanity. To be able to keep up with these little versions of the Energizer Bunny, and still be our vibrant, wonderful selves, we have to get in some down time.


I used to read about these 'super moms' who have 6 kids, run a website and blog, make their kids clothes, cook a fabulous dinner every night and have a regular 'date-night' with the hubby. How on earth do they do it? I have to be honest, for a little while there I used to compare myself to these 'wonder women' and feel woefully inadequate. But then I wised up - I 'Googled' the heck out of them, and you know what, they aren't 'super women' at all - they have HELP! Yup, either large families who help out, or hired assistants. 'Wonder Woman' my butt. I still admire the fact that they want to do as much as they do, but now I know it really does take a village to raise a child (or 6).


I really do believe that we need to 'shut down' every now and then, but now I don't feel so bad for 'closing for maintenance' and leaving the floors dirty for another day. Hey, I ain't no 'Wonder Woman'.


And just because I couldn't resist, here for your viewing pleasure, the Energizer Bunny.



The force is strong with this one....


K

Mommy-ism #4: Make time for yourself. Meet friends for lunch (or drinks), get your nails done, go shopping without the little one (and don't buy anything for them - hard I know), whatever it is that will make you happy. Trust me, for your sanity and that of your family you need some 'mommy down time'. It may not always be easy to do, but like Nike says 'just do it'.



No comments:

Post a Comment