Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Your mission, should you choose to accept it.....

I totally should have read the fine print on that one.


M, Little P & I just made the trek across country to go visit Grandma & Grandpa (I seriously have "To Grandmother's House We Go" playing in my head right now). And I will admit, I was the one who suggested we should fly overnight, partly so that we could spend as much time as we could with family & partly because I paid too much attention to what other Mommies on web forums had said. I unfortunately did not take into account the potential of Little P being so wide awake and the fact that maybe, just maybe, what other Mommies suggested wouldn't work for her (go figure).


So the end result, after two flights (and a rather lengthy delay on the  tarmac at JFK Airport) was one very tired little girl who on flight number 1, did her best 'Exorcist' impression on Mommy, Daddy, herself and our seats (thankfully we actually had our section to ourselves), one very tired Daddy (who due to work commitments he hadn't slept for 2 days) and one very worn out Mommy (who managed to get about 45 minutes sleep on the plane with a sleeping munchkin in her arms). It also resulted in Little P getting a change of clothes earlier than anticipated, Daddy still finding second hand french fries and peas in his pockets later that morning, and both Mommy and Daddy (and Little P) smelling kinda funky by the time we got to Syracuse.  All I can say is that when we got to Grandma and Grandpa's house, we were ready for showers and naps.


But it was all totally worth it. Watching Little P get to know her cousins and Aunt and Uncle (not to mention the rest of M's rather extensive family) and having her spend quality time with Grandpa and Grandma (she can even say 'Grandpa' now.... well okay, it's 'Ganpa' but it's a start) makes the long, tiring and very uncomfortable journey seem less so.


I have to be honest though, the flight back has me a little concerned. Granted, it will be in the morning, and we did luck out and manage to snag a first class seat on the long leg back, I will however, be traveling with Little P on my own. I am hoping she won't do her Linda Blair impression again, but I have no doubt that by the time we get home, we will both need a nap and showers.


So lesson learned. In the future, my checklist for traveling with the munchkin will look something like this:


- luggage packed: check
- boarding pass printed out
- carry-on packed with toys, books, snacks, change of clothes, vomit bag...: check
- water proof pants, shirts and jacket for the flight over: check


And if all else fails, roadtrip!


Till next time, stay away from the pea soup.


K



Mommy-ism# 3: The peaceful feeling you get when you are watching your little one sleep and listening to their soft breathing... disappears when said child lets out a large fart and smirks.

2 comments:

  1. I think the only other thing that needs to be added to that list is benadryl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To put it simply... farts are funny. We learn that from an early age.

    ReplyDelete