Thursday, December 6, 2012

Just one little word

It's amazing. When you hear your little one say 'Mommy' (or 'Daddy') for the first time, and your heart skips a beat, your breath catches in your throat and you pause thinking 'did they really just say that?'. And when you hear it again, you think you will never get tired of hearing that word.

Fast forward to a year later and the very mention of that word can sometimes make you cringe inwardly. Or make you sigh in defeat. Or, as was the case yesterday for me, cause a moment of frustration because they don't want anything, they are just calling you (over and over and over.... and over and over again) to make sure you are there.

Reminds me of this part of an episode of 'The Family Guy'...


We've all been there. And you try, you really try to not let it get to you, but you still find yourself taking a deep breath before saying 'yes' for the hundredth time.

I know that at least in Little P's case, it's because she can't see me. It's usually when I've gone downstairs to start the laundry, and she can hear me, but she can't see me. And I can always tell if I'm taking too long, because the pauses between the 'Mommy's' gets shorter and her voice gets higher.

But, I also know a little guy, all of 4, who just likes saying 'Mommy', regardless of the situation, time or place. It's got to the point where his Mom won't answer to 'Mommy' anymore, it's only when he calls her 'Mom' or 'Mama' that she will respond. I don't know if this is a desire to have him call her something else, or just her way of getting him used to using a different name to get her attention. All I do know is that it's not working, at least not yet, as you can hear him the minute you get near them just saying 'Mommy' over and over again - almost like it's a mantra.

And maybe, in some weird way, that's just what it is. A mantra. A chant to let them know that everything is okay. Instead of saying 'ohm' they say 'Mommy'. Either way, I know one Mommy who is going to be very relieved when their little one gets passed that stage. And you know, it could be worse - your little one could be running around saying 'f**k' constantly (like some adults I know) or not be talking at all (also like some brooding adults I know). 

I guess, when you look at the grand scheme of things, having your little one repeat your name ad nauseum is not that bad.....at least they aren't throwing poop at people.

K

(and not forgetting day 6 of Jimi)

Just hanging out with a regular 'nut cracker'....


No comments:

Post a Comment