Friday, January 25, 2013

Dressing a Toddler for Dummies

Getting an almost two year old  dressed and organized in the morning is like trying to nail jello to the wall. Or wrangle snakes covered in olive oil. Or read War and Peace and actually enjoy it. It. Just. Ain't. Happening.

As soon as you mention 'getting dressed' your toddler turns into either a limp rag doll, and is completely uncooperative or, they suddenly develop a sense of fashion and absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, is fit for them to wear. This usually results in fits of crying, refusing to lift arms or legs so you can get the clothes on them, or constantly moving till you eventually give up and they leave their bedroom with one arm in the shirt, one leg through the pants and one sock on, but no shoes.

Did I mention they are uncooperative?

M has decided that if he wants to get out of the house at a certain time, he needs to start getting Little P ready about one hour prior to the actual time of departure. Most days he's successful at doing this. Other days, not so much.

But, I have discovered the secret to successfully get Little P dressed and out of the house without one or both of us being tired and cranky and I can usually pull it off in as little as 15 minutes. 

Want to know the secret?

I get her dressed while she's still sleepy.

Yup. I'm the super sneaky Mommy. It, of course helps that I make sure I'm organized and ready to go before I attempt this risky maneuver; that her bag for school is packed and that all I need to do is scoop her up, put clothes on her while she's still waking up, go kiss M goodbye and out the door we go. We are in the car and on our way before she even realizes we aren't in the house anymore. It of course helps that she eats breakfast at her school, and that I have so much crap in my car to keep her entertained that she's so preoccupied with the book, toy, game or whatever else she's playing with, that she doesn't pay any attention to the fact that we are indeed, on our way somewhere.

Weekends of course, are a whole other story. But weekdays - I own those 'like a boss'.

Till next time...

K

No comments:

Post a Comment