Thursday, August 30, 2012

Arrrggghhhh!

"A cry of frustration escaped her lips. Why was it so damn hard? This was supposed to get easier as it went along, not harder. It's wasn't that she didn't have any ideas... there were just too many. All clamoring in her head, wanting to be heard. She'd start one, and would get distracted by the next thought that came along, making it virtually impossible to keep any one train of thought going. Aaarrrggghhh."

You know, it's really concerning that I've started referring to myself in the third person - it's been happening more and more lately.

Why is it, that when we become parents, we automatically start referring to ourselves (and each other) as 'Mommy' and 'Daddy'. 'Mommy has to go now'. 'Daddy needs to go to bed.' 'Mommy really needs a makeover.' And so on, and so on. It's as if we don't exist to our little ones unless we are talking about ourselves in the third person. Why is that?

I am serious. Why do we do it? I know I'm not the only one. There has been many a time when I have been at a park and over heard something like this:

'But why?' (usually said in a very high, whiny voice).
'Because Mommy says so.' (said very matter of fact-ly, by none other than Mommy, herself).
'But wwwhhhyyyyy?' (in a much higher pitched whiny voice)
'If you ask me one more time "why" Mommy is going to get very angry and we are going to leave the park'. (said through clenched teeth with one or two veins popping out on their forehead).

If we don't refer to ourselves this way, are we worried that our little one's won't know who is the one talking/doing these things? Or are we merely trying to validate and reassure ourselves that we do actually exist outside of the realm of parenthood. And if so, wouldn't we be better off using our real names, or just going back to referring to ourselves in the first person. Or am I once again over thinking this situation and should really just stop typing, pour myself a glass of wine and go and watch some really bad TV?

*sigh*

I really do need to start planning these posts out a little better - they definitely have a tendency to get away from me (I know I was going in a particular direction at the beginning, but seemed to have been side-tracked).

And yes, I do know it's Thursday, and I usually post something crafty, but to be perfectly honest with you, I've been a little lazy in the crafting department (aside from a little painted vase experiment I did with some fellow Mothers the other night). I do however, have some grand ideas, and hope to implement at least one of them tomorrow, so I'll post it as soon as it's done.

I thank you for your patience in this matter.

Now, where is that glass of wine and the remote?

K

No comments:

Post a Comment