Thursday, August 9, 2012

Nailed It - Personalized Canvas

I'm always looking for unique and totally cool ways to update the walls in our house (although M would say we don't need to), and while 'trolling' around on Pinterest one night, I found this: 



      
                                                                                    credit - Not On The High Street

But for $335 it was totally not gonna happen. So I thought, 'hey, I could do that'. All you need is a canvas, some white paint and some wooden letters.

So, my first effort cost me a grand total of $1.50. Yup. That's it. I already had a small 8 x 10 canvas on hand that I wasn't using for anything, I had white paint, so all I needed was some letters (chipboard - I got some scrap booking ones from Michaels for $1.50), so all I needed was a saying. Both M and I are huge 'Princess Bride' fans, so 'As you wish' just seemed appropriate. Less than an hour later, I had this (and forgive the photography - it was done on my phone and I couldn't get the lighting right - *sigh*):


Granted, the letters are textured (which I kind of like, actually), and I just glued them onto the canvas, but for $1.50 I think it turned out okay.

But I gave it another shot anyway. I had a 12 x 12 canvas on hand, some white spray paint (that I had used for a previous craft) and I found a tub of wooden letters at Walmart (200 of them) for a whopping $4! Bonus. I decided I also wanted to make it a little more '3D' so I used sticky dots (also on hand from a previous craft) that I got from Michaels ages ago. And again, after less than an hour, I had this:



Not bad huh?

So, if I were to do this again:
- I would measure out the letters and spacing (instead of just going 'gun-ho') so I wouldn't  
   have the 'hanging off the edge of the canvas' situation again, 
- I would really like to maybe do it all in lower case
- And maybe even make some of the key words (or just letters) a different color.

So, considering they aren't as 'fancy pants' as the $300 version, I think for around $6 they ain't too shabby.

So, what do you think? Did I nail it or what?

K


No comments:

Post a Comment