Thursday, August 2, 2012

"Can I give you some advice?"

In a word, NO.

I'm sorry, random person who came up to me at Target offering me unsolicited 'words of wisdom', and please don't take this the wrong way, but you can take your unasked for advice and place it ever so firmly up some where that the sun doesn't shine.

Why is it that some people feel they have to give you 'advice' regardless of whether they know you or not? And what's qualifies them to be able to give said advice? Am I taking this too personally, or are there just some people who have to stick their noses into everything and anything?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I appreciate help, when I need it. If you see me wondering aimlessly in the aisles at a store and I look like I'm lost, feel free to ask me if I need help. If you see me holding two types of canned mush in my hands, looking a little confused, say 'the one on your right tastes much better'. I'll be appreciative. I promise.

But do not come up to me while I am minding my own business looking at kids books and tell me my child should not be eating a graham cracker while in her stroller. Not only will you get a look of utter surprise at your rather abrasive manner, but you might just 'accidentally' get a book thrown at your face. With a great deal of force. 

No, I do not care that you recently read that children who eat while they are moving are more likely to develop weight problems. No, I don't think her eating a cracker is going to put her on the downward spiral to childhood obesity. And no, I most definitely do not want you to write down the name of the website where you read said tripe.

May I point out that a), technically she's NOT moving, I'm pushing her in the stroller, she's seated; b) if eating a graham cracker gives me the few moments of silence that I need while I'm in the store to decide what book I'm going to buy, then I'm damn well going to give her a cracker; and c) have you seen how small my daughter is? I really don't think a graham cracker here and there is going to make her suddenly gain 10 pounds.

So, and I do mean this in the nicest possible way, please take your unsolicited advice and go annoy someone else.

Thank you and have a nice day.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment