Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Can you reboot a Mommy?

I think I need an upgrade. I don't think my current operating system supports this kind of work. Maybe I should call the manufacturer and see if there are new options available. Because I can't function on four hours sleep. I. Just. Cannot. Do. It.

Yes, I know that it's all part of being a parent. Doesn't mean I like it. Or that I can do it. And I know Little P isn't doing it on purpose (at least I don't think she is), but if this continues on for much longer I am seriously going to need a reboot - there is no other way I can continue to function like this.

And it makes for desperate actions. A sleep deprived, caffeine fueled Mother is not one to mess with. And when your little one won't settle, it makes a Momma resort to actions that she might not normally take.

Little P only slept for another hour and a half this morning after a very restless night, and when she woke up, it was like nothing would make her happy. I've never seen her this miserable. And what was worse is that I didn't know WHY she was unhappy. She didn't want to play, she didn't want to eat or drink. She wanted none of her favorite toys or books. I took her for a drive hoping that the fact she was out of the house might help, but no, I had a screaming banshee in the back of the car for the entire duration of the drive.

I took her to the park - and she did nothing but cling to me (which is totally not like my little daredevil - she normally makes a beeline for the highest slide she can find). Took her to a store hoping that the change of scenery might help; she wasn't having any of it. 

I tried pleading with her, scolding her, just holding her. Nothing worked. She settled for all of two minutes when we talked to Daddy on the phone, but the minute I hung up, it was on for young and old again.

Finally, being both exhausted and hungry, I said 'Do you want to get some chippies?'. And miracle of miracles, she said 'yeah', sniffled and slowly stopped crying. The minute she saw those 'golden arches' she was her normal happy self. 'Chippies! Chippies!' Okay, Little P wants french fries. I can do that. I'm not proud of it, but if it keeps her happy for a little while, then I'm all for it. 

We place our order, and we then had to wait a little while to get to the first window. Little P was obviously getting impatient because she kept saying 'Move'. Which, I have to admit was kind of funny, and made me realize that I really do have to watch what I say when we are driving. We finally got our order, I give her a fry, and with a huge smile she goes 'Thank you'. Queue huge sigh of relief from Momma.

Hooray! It's not ideal. But if those little pieces of golden tastiness keep an otherwise unhappy little one happy, even if for a short period of time, then I'll take it.

Till next time... I'm loving it.

K

Mommy-ism #105: accepting that you can't always win. Yes, I know being a parent isn't a 'game'. There is no keeping score. But there are times when you really do just want to throw your hands up in the air and say 'I give up'. There are going to be days when your little ones are just going to be difficult. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Ever. So strap yourself in. Make sure you have emergency supplies and get ready, cause it's about to get bumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment