Saturday, August 25, 2012

Stop. Hammer Time.

Every once in a while you just have to stop. Just breathe and enjoy watching the world pass by.

It's been a very lazy day today. 

At 11am Little P and I were still in our PJ's. We had cookies for breakfast (along with milk for her and coffee for me). We lay on the floor in the playroom and 'talked' while squishing play doh in our hands. We sat and read books (okay, we sat and read her books, but still reading is reading). I contemplated getting us both dressed and going out to do something about 10 times before M woke up - didn't eventuate.

And I'm okay with that.

Anyone who sees me on a regular basis knows that Little P and I are pretty activate. Almost every morning we are at a play group event, or we are at a local park if nothing is planned. Most afternoons we go out and play in the back yard, go for a drive, do crafts or just have a tea party with us and 20 of Little P's closest furry friends. It's pretty much none stop most of the time. So every once and awhile, we need to just sit back and watch the world go on without us.

Granted, today was more because we had a rough night last night and I wasn't feeling up to being perky and sociable (it happens), but there are days when I swear she looks at me as if I'm crazy for going out with her again. And maybe I am. 

Most days however, she's the one whose standing at the top of the stairs saying 'Drive. Go, go, go.'

I once had a friend ask me if I did so many things with Little P because I was scared to be alone with her for extended periods of time. Yup. You can just picture the look on my face can't you? My response to her was somewhat long winded, but it essentially comes down to this:  I do a lot of things with Little P because a) it wears her out so she will take a nap (works on most days, sometimes it backfires) and b) because there is so much more to the world than what I can show her with just the two of us. 

I like our quiet time. I really do. But there is just so much out there to see and do, I really don't want to miss a minute of it. Because, before you know it, I will be back a work, she'll be in school and our special adventures will be things of the past. Sure, we will still do things together, but it won't be quite the same.

So I'll be lazy today. Maybe we will do some painting later, or go for a walk. But more than likely we will just lay on the floor and 'talk' some more, eat some more cookies, and read a book (or three). And that's okay. Because tomorrow is another day full of surprises and adventures waiting to be had.

Till next time, go forth and conquer!

K


Mommy-ism #23: When you realize that you just had an in depth discussion with your 11 month old, and actually feel like you had a real conversation... if insanity is when you start to answer yourself, how do you classify having a conversation with someone whose main word is 'hi' and most of the noises she makes belongs in a SyFy movie soundtrack?



No comments:

Post a Comment