Monday, July 23, 2012

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."

In a way, it's true. Just because you call your child Theodore, doesn't mean he's going to become a serial killer (a la Ted Bundy) anymore than he will become President (although here's hoping). And I know a lot of people give me a funny look when I tell them Little P's name, not that it's weird, just not a common name for a girl. But I have to be honest, with some of the names that are coming out these days, especially from celebrities, it kind of makes you wonder what it was these parents were thinking when they decided to call their child 'Book' (I know, extreme example, but you get the picture).

Don't get me wrong. I think being original with your child's name is awesome, I really do. And there's nothing wrong with the classics either (John, James, Olivia, Sarah/Sara....), but I do wonder if the parents who get more creative actually think about what other kids are going to call their child. Because, as we all know, kids can be pretty darn inventive when it comes to destroying someone's name. 

And I know a lot of it has to do with the current culture. Back in the 60's and 70's there were a lot of kids being called 'Rain', or 'River' or 'Moonbeam'. But you wouldn't expect to see that happen much these days. Now, it's more about characters from popular movies or books, like 'Bella' (short for Isabelle or Isabella), or Jacob, or Edward (Twilight fans anyone?).

Look, I'm all for making your child stand out. I really am. Heck, I have nieces and nephews with names that standout, and a lot of my friends have kids with names that are different, but I can guarantee you that they didn't just pick a bunch of random letters and put them together or look at a piece of furniture and go 'Mmmm, 'Ottoman' would be a cool name. But do you really think you are helping little 'Apple' make friends by naming her after a) a piece of fruit and b) the piece of fruit that essentially sent Adam and Eve out of Eden (and you just know that kid is going to want to change her name the minute she gets to high school).

Today at the park I personally heard the following names called: Gideon (biblical reference or fan of 'Criminal Minds'?), Buddy (I honestly didn't know people still called their kids this) and Jaylee (and I'm totally guessing on the spelling here. For all I know it could be Jaelae).

Aside from the fact that these kids won't ever be able to find their names on stationary or little tourist knick knacks, there is a good likelihood that little 'Jaylee' is going to have to spell her name out for people for the rest of her life. 

By all means, get creative with your kids name, just take a little time to think what their future friends might do with it.

Till next time, stay cool all you Zayden's, Luxx's and Draven's. After all, what's in a name?

K

(When looking into kids names, I came across a post from one of my favorite Mommy Bloggers, 'Momma Dearest', and she had this article on one of her posts - it's AWESOME
American Baby Names)


No comments:

Post a Comment