Monday, July 9, 2012

Ma'am, step away from the squeaky toy...

Parents can be nuts. And I don't just mean a little crazy. I mean straight jacket wearing, pill chewing, do not pass go and go straight to the asylum, crazy. What is it that drives what would normally be a level headed, calm person into a slobbering, psychopathic maniac who will stop at nothing to get a particular item for their child?

I get the whole wanting 'to give you child everything you never had' deal. I do. I don't necessarily agree with it (heck, I used to play with whatever was in our back yard and I turned out okay), but I do totally understand it. What I don't understand is the desire, nay, the NEED some parents have to get their child that one particular toy. These people will go to extreme lengths to get said toy for their child, waiting in line for hours on end, pushing and shoving when in the store, even resorting to bribing the sales associates. It's sad. And doesn't provide a good role model for the kids. 

I witnessed a little of this craziness over Christmas time and again the other day when I ventured into a toy store to pick up some gifts for upcoming birthdays. I noticed out of the corner of my eye two grown women having a somewhat heated discussion. I didn't pay much attention; wasn't in the direction I was going in and for all I knew they were sisters giving each other 'sisterly advice'. I did however start to pay attention when I heard over the loud speaker 'clean up in aisle 6' and then almost immediately after 'Security to aisle 6'. 

As I made my way up to check out, I looked over to where the women had been earlier on, and found, somewhat to my amusement, the two women on the floor, essentially wrestling with each other and toys strewn all about. The poor security guard didn't know what to do with himself, and I personally think the rest of the staff standing there were just enjoying the show. 

When I got to the cashier, I asked her if she knew what was going on. Apparently there was only one left of a certain action figure (pretty popular toy for young boys - and close to sold out due to it's popularity and all the birthdays in July) and both women wanted it for their sons. They had called an associate over to find out if there were anymore in the stock room, and once they had been told 'no' and that more stock wouldn't arrive till the following week, it had become 'Wrestle Mania Mom Style'. Hence the toys being knocked off the shelf and the inept security detail. 

I was kind of shocked. I mean, you hear about these horror stories happening during Black Friday sales, but you never really believe them. Unfortunately, I was informed that it happens more than you would think. Most people are pretty cool about the situation, but every now and then, you get two people who are both, well let's just say they are extremely 'passionate' about providing for their child and 'toy wars' erupts.

And what's really sad, is that some parents feel that to show their child how much they love them, they have to go to these kinds of lengths. Kids learn these kinds of behaviors - if they associate 'love' with 'gifts' then unfortunately that's what they will grow up expecting.

I'm not saying to deny your child things they want - it would be a little hypocritical of me (I lurve buying fun stuff for Little P, but I also know that our house is only so big...) - I'm just saying that the next time you feel the need to get Little Johnny that 'super-duper-all-new-and-totally-fantastic toy, think twice about whether it's the toy he wants or just you playing with him.

Till next time, keep you elbows close to your body and your head protected.

K

Mommy-ism #22: Wooden blocks & bare feet do not make a good pair (end result is the 'Mommy in pain but cant swear dance, which also apparently provides Little P with some early morning entertainment).





No comments:

Post a Comment